Firetube boilers are a widely used commercial boiler design that is capable of generating steam or hot water for various applications. These boilers derive their name from the design of their heat transfer surfaces, where hot gases pass through an array of furnace/fire tubes which are immersed in water.
The basic construction of a firetube boiler consists of a horizontal cylindrical pressure vessel with a series of furnace/fire tubes that run lengthwise of the vessel. The combustion gases produced by the burner pass through these tubes heating the surrounding water. As a result, the water outside the tubes is transformed into either steam or hot water, which can then be used for multiple purposes.
The process within a firetube boiler works as follows:
- Fuel combustion: A fuel source, such as natural gas or ULSD #2 oil is ignited in the combustion chamber, also known as the morrison tube. The combustion process generates hot gases with a significant amount of heat energy that a forced air fan pushes through the fire tubes.
- Heat transfer: The hot gases produced from the combustion flow through the tubes that are immersed in the water-filled pressure vessel. As the furnace gases pass through the tubes, the heat energy is transferred to the water. Thermal efficiency can be improved by incorporating multiple “gas passes”, wherein the furnace gas will travel multiple times across the length of the boiler. For instance, a 2-pass firetube boilers would have a flue gas outlet at the burner-end of the boiler, whereas a 3-pass boiler would have the flue gas outlet at the rear of the boiler.; the latter resulting in more time to transfer energy before existing the boiler proper thereby increasing thermal efficiency.
- Steam or hot water generation: The firetube boiler design can be tailored to produce either saturated steam or hot water. Hot water applications are typically limited to about 25-35°F of ΔT (temperature rise) across the boiler proper. For higher temperature limits, please see our LaMont® High-Temperature Hot Water Generators (HTHWG).
Available Firetube Boilers
For Rent, Sale, or Lease
Superior Boiler Works
700HP, 150P - (3 QTY)
Indeck provides the following goods and services as they relate to firetube type boilers.
- Aftermarket sales support on the historic Volcano Boiler (now Indeck Boiler Corporation) “Starfire” firetube boiler product line.
- Limited inventory of stock boilers from multiple manufactures.
- Rental boilers including skid-based units as well as Mobile Boiler Rooms, the latter of which include onboard boiler feedwater equipment as well as blowdown and chemical feed ancillary equipment pre-assembled in and enclosed multi-axel trailer.
Indeck Solutions, Systems, & Services
At the heart of our commitment lies the dedication to providing our customers with the power they need, precisely when and where it matters most. With an extensive background in the industry, unwavering stability, and formidable financial strength, we possess the capabilities to deliver comprehensive solutions to any challenge. As a leading provider in the industry, the Indeck Group stands as a singular source supplier of cutting-edge boiler systems, recognized among the foremost manufacturers of industrial steam boilers in the United States. Our portfolio encompasses tailor-made boiler systems and a wide range of industrial steam boilers available for both purchase and rental. To inquire about steam boiler rental, please contact us at 847-541-8300 or explore our product line below